Museum of Neon Art
Relighting of the Palace Theatre's Historic Neon
Project Area: CT-Historic Core
Project: LUMENS Project - Palace Theatre
Project Location: 630 S. Broadway
Project Type: CRA/LA Initiated
Built in 1911 by architect G. Albert Lansburgh and sculptor Domingo Mora, the Palace Theatre is the oldest surviving Orpheum Theatre in the world. Styled after a French Renaissance palace, the brick and concrete building features rich sculptural decorations and figures in tinted terra cotta. The facade of the building includes four figures that represent the muses of vaudeville: song, dance, music, and drama. In 1926, the theater was renamed "The Palace" after the Orpheum moved to a larger location along Broadway. With the addition of a neon marquee and a pair of doulbe-faced vertical neon signs, the Palace Theatre was transformed into a movie theater.
The theater's two historic vertical neon signs were refurbished under the LUMENS Project which was overseen by the Museum of Neon Art.
For other projects, please see: