Project Area: CBD-Financial Core
Project: 550 South Hope Street
Project Location: 550 S. Hope Street
Project Type: Developer Initiated
Site/Memory/Reflection consists of six elements. Between the Central Libray and 550 S. Hope St. are bronze startbursts on the street. From a street level sidewalk, a line of blue glass leads up the middle of a staircase and into a plaza. On the plaza at the end of the blue glass line is a tall polished black granite, rectangular in shape and monolithic in size. On the front face of the granite is a gold sun disk medallion. Blue neon lighting at the back of the monolith subtly connects the blue glass line that trails to the bottom of the stairs. The north end of the plaza has a stepped pyramidal sculpture. At the opposite end of the plaza is a stainless steel fountain whose shape mirrors that of the stepped pyramid. The other feature is the Memorialization Room and Walkway, which is underneath the flight of stairs leading to the black granite monolith. The Memorialization Room is painted in a soft cream shade, and overhead a gold leaf domed ceiling glows in the softly lit room. Directly beneath the dome and etched onto the floor is a polished black granite circle with a photo emulsion of the Earth. The doors to the room are bronze and are sculpted with patterns of numbers and letters. Leading back to the Memorialization Room is a polished black granite walkway with inlaid rectangles of bronze.
From 1915 to 1985 the Church of the Open Hand stood at this site. A video on display in the Memorialization Room highlights this history of the site, the church and churches in Downtown in general.
For other projects, please see: